Friday, June 5, 2009

Vacation

So Connor and I took a little vacation down to Southern Utah as sort of a "boys getaway" this past week. I thought it would be fun to hike all the places I used to when I was his age. He wanted to stay at the hotel and swim in the pool.



We had a lot of fun and saw a lot of places that I had not seen in several years, and Connor got to see all those places for the first, hopefully not the last, time. And even though it was a "boys getaway," I felt myself longing to share with Ashley all the things we saw and did. I always spoke to her about how beautiful So. Utah is and how I should take her to see it. Sadly, that was one of the many things we never got to do before she passed.



One of the things I am learning, is how short life truely is. We had all these grand plans that we wanted to do and complete. Now, my grand plan is to raise my son so that he turns out normal.



But even with all it's unexpected turns, life is still amazing. Every day I look at Connor and see his momma staring back at me...and every day, I try to get closer to the kind of man and father Ashley would want me to be. It's hard, but I love my life right now. I miss her deeply, but I love being my son's dad. I am truely grateful to Ashley for choosing me.

By the way...4 year olds love to wipe their dirty feet all over the clean seats in the car. Next time, we're taking our pick-up. That thing is made for 4 year old feet!

2 comments:

  1. I am so proud of you for starting this blog. I think it will be very helpful to you to write down your thoughts and feelings. I hope you will keep an hard copy of every entry so that you can share them with Connor when he gets older. It will help him to know how much you love(d) his Mommy, and it will help him to better know and understand his Dad. Thank you for including me. I am so proud of the way you have steped up to handle this job that you never signed up for. PS Thank you for making Ashley so happy. Luv, cs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your blog! It opens my eyes to really see how life can be short. There is always going to be that list of "Stuff I wished I had done". I guess the thing to do is to get out and make that list as long as possible with as many check marks next to the items as possible. You know what I mean. Make Memories is what its all about. Few people are ever going to look back and say man if only I would have spent more time at my office, but many people will look back and say if only I had taken my family to.... Thanks for your thought provoking blog. Jeff

    ReplyDelete